Wednesday 12 April 2017

Amazing Grace

Easter is an amazing time of the year.  In fact if I am honest, it is my favourite time in the entire Christian Calendar.  As I reflect on the Easter message I am constantly challenged and encouraged in my Christian journey.  

As I was growing up as a teenager I have to admit I was a ratbag.  Life just seemed to be out of control and to be honest, it is a miracle I am still  here and yet despite all of this, here I am.

So why is it that Easter is such an important time for me? Well too be honest it is that time of the year when I reflect and remember what I was, and when I thank God for what I now am. As we enter Holy week for another year I am reminded once again of the goodness of God. As I prepare for our Maundy Thursday service tomorrow I am once again reminded of our amazing God. A God who is faithful, a God who loves me, and a God who gave everything so that my relationship with Him would be restored. You see regardless of my past, God has never given up on me and only He knows the potential within me. That is why I am here now, and as I reflect on the events and the amazing people that have come into my life over the past 30 years, I can now see how God intervened and began to steer me in the right direction. Proverbs 16:9 tells us that "A man’s heart plans his way, But the Lord directs his steps." This is exactly how it has been for me. I thought I knew where I wanted to head in life but God knew better.

As I reflect on the events that took place in Jesus final hours I am reminded of why He had to die and I am so thankful that He made that choice to sacrifice Himself for me.  How can I be forgiven  for what I have done in the past?  How could God ever love me when for so long I rejected Him?  Well it's all about this amazing thing called Grace.  Easter is a wonderful reminder that no matter what we have done, no matter how our paths have gone in the wrong direction; God continues to pursue us, He continues to try and get our attention.  And regardless of what we done, Jesus sacrificial act supersedes everything.  His amazing grace brings healing, restoration and empowerment.  Jesus gave His life so that we may be saved.  He died so that our relationship with God the Father might be restored, and He died so that we may be set free from the bondage of this world.  Easter is about restoration and empowerment. It is about what can be and not what was or what is.  Do you know this Jesus?  Do you know the one that can bring emotional and spiritual healing?  His name is Jesus and "He is the way, the truth and the life..." - John 14:6

My prayer for each person reading this right now is that Easter will be a powerful time for you.  I pray that this Easter will be more than family, holidays and chocolate.  My prayer for each person reading this right now is that 2017 will  be the year when you discover or are reminded that you are loved; you are forgiven; and you can be set free through Jesus Christ.  May God bless you each this Easter.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son,
that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish,
but will receive eternal life." - John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment