Sunday 15 April 2012

Too busy for Jesus?

As my studies continue along with my church placement I can't help but think about my life and my walk with God.  In preparing for a recent sermon about Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42) God has been challenging me about the things in my life that quite frankly just keep me busy.  We live in a world that is just so chaotic and our days are filled with a constant busyness.  Surrounded by modern technology we are told that we need to buy these gadgets because they will make life so much easier and that they will save us time.  Microwaves, cars, internet, email, mobile phones, blu ray players and the list goes on.  In a world where we run flat out all the time and where time is so precious I find myself asking the question is it all worth it?  Did God ever create us to be running flat out all the time?  Is our busyness helping us to grow closer to God or is it a distraction that is simply keeping us from spending time with Him?  I fear that the answer to this question leans more to the latter than the former.

As I read the story of Mary and Martha I can't help but notice that my attention is drawn toward the busyness of Martha in the scripture.  It's interesting isn't it that even in scripture we can be distracted by busyness.  In this story (which is only located in the gospel of Luke) the action is between Jesus and Martha.  The point however, that Luke is trying to get across is found in Mary.  She is the example of what true discipleship really is.  Culturally it was the women that were to serve the meal in the home when guests arrived but Mary made a choice to break tradition in order to fall at the masters feet.  Wow what a concept.  That one would choose to go against everything that society expects in order to spend time in worship.  Did this cause resentment? absolutely.  Martha was not happy.  But Jesus in speaking to Martha helps her to understand that Mary chose what was best.  What Mary chose was of a spiritual and eternal benefit.

Things need to be done.  Life is going to be busy.  The world will tell us that in order to be productive we need to be busy.  Yes things need to be done and life on occasion will be chaotic however, in the middle of it all is Jesus and He says:  "Come to me all who are wearied and burdened and I will give you rest."  Want to be Mary in a Martha world?  Sometimes we need to do the opposite to what the world would say is right and sometimes it may even cause resentment.  So which one are you Mary or Martha?
Life is chaotic but with Jesus all things become clear.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth 
Will grow strangely dim
In the light of his glory and grace. 

(©Helen H. Lemmel, 1922)

1 comment:

  1. So true David. This has been on my heart of late also. It is all too easy to get too busy and push God to the sideline. Even doing god's work can sometimes leave us too busy for God.

    ReplyDelete